A friend just asked me this, so I figured I would post it here for anyone else's amusement/information/disgust.
1) google (yes, it *is* a verb, dammit!) ' "how to" burn youtube video to dvd'
2) pick the second link cause it looks close and isn't a video and I am waaaaaaay too ADHD to sit through a video
3) read the instructions
4) re-word the instructions because I truly do believe the world gave me a red pen with which I have the divine right to edit anything I feel is substandard. Ah, the joy of ego.
5) Decide that those instructions won't work
6) Modify instructions
7) stir and add salt to tas... wait a minute.
OK, here you go:
1) Check if your DVD burning software can burn AVI files to DVD.
2) If you know it CAN'T, go here: http://www.dvdflick.net/ and download (and install) the (free) software. This *will* burn an AVI video file to DVD. And it's free. Did I mention it's free?
3) go to YouTube and go to the video you want to burn to DVD
In the upper right corner of the screen, there is the URL link. Make sure you have that link (copy/paste, whatever). It's going to look sort of like this:
3) Go to http://vixy.net/
4) on the main page, in the BIIIIG box marked "URL", put the youtube address you grabbed in step 3. The first step 3. Oh, you weren't paying attention?
5) Choose the AVI format
6) click Start
7) go get a cup of coffee. A reeeeaaaalllly big cup of coffee
9) take a deep breath. use the defibrilator if you need it.
10) On the Vixy.net screen you should see a link at the top that says "Download the converted video". Click it.
11) Don't worry about the "Bad Request" page you see in your browser. You should ALSO see a download box. Download the video to your computer. Don't forget to make a note of where you put it. Just like your keys, glasses, youthful enthusiasm, socks, virginity and the dog.
12) Now you should go to your DVD burning program OR the DVDFlick software. I don't know anything about either so you are more or less on your own, but it should be pretty straightforward - grab the AVI video and burn it to DVD.